A Simple Wooden Spoon

IMG_0760

I decided that I was in the mood for some homemade soup. One of my favourites is potato and bacon. Usually the kind of thing you want on a cold snowy day but I had a hankering for it.

As usual I got out my soup pot as well as the ingredients and utensils I would need. And then I stopped. In my hand was a wooden spoon. It wasn’t just any wooden spoon. This particular utensil had been a part of my life for close to 50 years. That was amazing!

When I was a child I was wilful and disobedient. I had one hell of a childhood! The corporal punishment usually inflicted was a few whacks of the wooden spoon across my buttocks. I’m afraid my backside and that piece of wood got together way too often. But I grew into a responsible adult so maybe it wasn’t all bad.

It often amazes me how we constantly reminisce about a time in our lives that is long past. There’re those who say the past should stay in the past. I don’t think that’s possible. We are the people we are today because of the actions that were taken before. The people that we met, the activities we engaged in, the failures we had. All of these things contributed to the person we have become.

What is it about who you are today that you like, love and hate. Nothing in this world is perfect and yet our memories often show us a past that seems to have been perfect. When I remember my childhood, I remember the good bits. I remember the love. I remember the support. I remember the laughter. There was a lot of laughter. I know my life wasn’t perfect. Isn’t perfect now. But I hope I will always remember easily the love and the laughter that is and was perfect.

I don’t want to forget the bad bits nor do I want to dwell on them. I was called names and beat up for simply being different. But that taught me tolerance and understanding. We are all different in someway. We should embrace that, celebrate that. I had spectacular failures and I had outstanding successes. I learned from all of my experiences and I am a better person for it.

Oh and that recipe for the potato soup? In case you’re interested:

Potato soup

One bag frozen hashbrowns

One can Cream of mushroom soup

4-6 cups chicken stock

1 cup cheese

One cup bacon bits

Directions:
Put the potatoes in the crockpot. Add in the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and half of the bacon bits. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.

Top with cheddar cheese and some additional bacon bits.

Personal bits:

I do this on top of my stove. I use extra old white cheddar cheese. I occasionally add leftover chicken bits. The amount of chicken stock you use denotes the consistency of the soup. I like my soup rather thick so I use less stock.

I hope you enjoy!

Advertisements

22 thoughts on “A Simple Wooden Spoon

1. mishunderstood

I have one really old spoon and now I’m wondering where the heck I got it! Some memories fade.
    My son makes hand made wooden spoons. He gave me three for Christmas. I can’t bring myself to use them because they’re so beautiful.
    This a nice write…it is amazing how one item can hold so much of our past. 🙂

It is interesting how one item – a wooden spoon – can set us off thinking. 🙂 It’s also good that we do tend to remember the good parts of the past, more so than the bad parts. But you are right in that it all goes into making us who we are today.

3. Jill Dunbar

Thanks for story of the wooden spoon – I think it was used more for the disciplining than for cooking.

Potato & bacon soup sounds great – thanks for the recipe. I will definitely make it soon!!

Hope all is well and that I will see you on Wednesday!

Peace and Love

4. Jack Flacco

Gosh, I’d forgotten about my childhood and potato soup. My mom used to make me potato soup when it was the thick of winter. Those cold miserable days would have been the days I’d come in from the frost and my mom would have the bowl waiting for me after school. I loved it with cheese. So good!

5. Melissa Shaw-Smith

Ah, I remember the wooden spoon, but forget the transgressions. Memories are like soup–a bit of this, a pinch of that, a splash of whatever. Things that on their own don’t amount to much, but together create a whole.

1. bearspawprint

That may be available here, as well. There is a salad topping called “bacon bits” which is pretend bacon (I think). Your soup sound pretty good. But I think my husband would want MORE bacon and my (last one at home) would want zero bacon … just to complicate things … they are like that with all foods. 😉 Do you have pre-diced vegetables, such as bell pepper, celery? I think I would like some of those tossed in. The weather here has been so changeable that soup that can be reheated would just hit the spot. Thank you for the recipe .

Try having the bacon bits on the side to be added as required. We also have the fake bacon up here but I would rather chop my own than use them. The nice thing about this recipe is that it is easily modified to your own tastes. You can get some vegetables pre-chopped but you pay extra for them. Sometimes it’s worth it to me.

How’s that for synchronicity Quiall, I have been trying to cook all day (it’s freezing down here today), and I spent ages trying to find my wooden spoon, it had taken to hiding itself, took me ages to find it. Right where it should have been and I had already looked in that drawer. Must be a male thing, either that or my nose is too big and I couldn’t see under it 😀