It’s a Small World

cropped-march-18-2014-008.jpg

I have noticed in the last few years that my world has shrunk. Let me explain. When I was growing up my world consisted of the school grounds, the neighbourhood playground, the surrounding forest and of course my home. As I grew older we moved around a bit and my world enlarged. There was the local mall, friends in other towns, vacations, University, the working world. My world grew as I grew. I became aware of other parts of the country. I vacationed in several different provinces, even a few other countries. I may not have been ‘world traveled’ but I wasn’t completely inexperienced either. Lately I have noticed that my sights have turned in somewhat. My concerns are for the area immediately in my vicinity. I worry about my home, the sidewalks outside my apartment, the doctor’s office. These places are all within about a mile of my home. One mile. Once the world was mine for the taking (figuratively speaking). Now I am concerned about only my backyard. I guess that is what happens when your world is turned upside down by a crisis.

That sounds so melodramatic: a crisis. A predicament sounds a little too tame. This disease has made so many changes in my life, sometimes without my noticing.

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “It’s a Small World

Just a more true sense of worth Pam.
    Worrying about the world is just a reference point so that you can look back inside.
    And that journey has great meaning, and as time goes by, we go further and further within, to finally ‘see’ and appreciate what has always been there, even though we may travel for miles and miles.
    Enjoy ‘your’ scenery, it has much meaning 🙂

Our “world view” is always in transition. I understand your concern, well placed I’d say. I’m glad you shared this, because it helps me (hopefully) others to understand how different things matter to different people. We need more of that understanding in the world today.

It must be so limiting, in many ways. I think this happens to us all as we age, though obviously more so in your own particular case.
    That is why the internet is such a great thing. You can take a trip anywhere in the world and chat to people on the other side of the globe, all while drinking a cup of tea in your own room. 🙂

4. Mish

I like your musings. It’s funny how our perspectives change depending on our circumstances, our age, our level of enlightenment, etc. I can only imagine the obstacles you must overcome daily. One thing for sure, you are an inspiration with your positive attitude. I feel my world is shrinking too in ways….faded friendships, family relationships and just the big reality that life is so darn short. At the same time I want to fly like Peter Pan around the world and see everything.

Hold on to Peter Pan! Never let go of the child that dwells within and your outlook on life will show you wonders. Even in times of trouble, it helps.

5. maryruth16

I agree with some of the comments above. You have your creativity and imagination & I find now that my life is richer when I meditate – coming back to yourself as it were… as Mark says ‘looking back inside.’ Lovely thought.. x

6. russtowne

There is so much beauty in a single flower that a backyard can hold a universe of blessings, beauty, adventure, and wonderment. May your disease be unable to keep you from experiencing and appreciating many of the blessings that surround you every day, my friend.

7. Sunshine Jansen

I will take ‘crisis’ over ‘challenge’ any day; there comes a time when there’s no sugar-coating the upheaval. But your turning inward never pushes the world away.