I Am So Offended!

What you ask has gotten me in such a state? The answer: people who take offence for a perceived insult.   A song written in 1944, that won an Oscar for best original song in 1949 and was popular in the 50s and 60s, offended someone more than 70 years later. So now it is an evil song about rape. Well that is one way to get into the spotlight.

Breaking News!! It was a different time. I am quite sure the writer did not consider it a rape song. Neither did I, I still don’t. What about the beloved Muppets being gay? First of all, who cares? These beloved characters were written to encourage children, not to coerce them to engage in sex. What is it about them that makes you want to label them? They are best friend!

Do you remember the year some Christmas Songs were re-interpreted? Some were considered homophobic, some anti-feminist and some just mean. Seriously people they are songs. Some were written many years ago. There was no evil agenda.

And then there are the children’s stories. Sleeping Beauty is about rape!!! Cinderella is a stereotype. Beauty and the Beast . . . well. Why do people insist on looking for the bad, the evil, the vile. You can twist anything if you try hard enough. I prefer to see the good, the wondrous, the hope that is in each of these stories. Am I turning a blind eye? Yes, I am. I prefer not to give the evil people of the world my time.

A woman is incensed because a 6 year old boy gave her 6 year old daughter a hug and a kiss in the school playground surrounded by 30 or 40 people. It was a innocent moment of affection between two CHILDREN. Nope, the mother said it was sexual assault and wanted the little boy removed from the school. Shame. Shame on that mother for making assumptions based on her hang-ups. What did those children learn?

People are constantly judging others negatively based on their own inadequacies. What are they trying to do? Does homophobia exist? Of course it does! Is it wrong? YES!!! Anti-feminism exists, sexual discrimination, racial prejudice exists. And so many more ways we discriminate against others and try to subjugate them. It is an evil world. But there is hope. Every year we as a people get a little smarter, a little more accepting. One day maybe we will truly be ONE people. I wonder what the perception of us will be in 70 years.

In the meantime, let the kids be kids and stop trying to pollute the playground.

27 thoughts on “I Am So Offended!

We are so arrogant to assume that people then we’re as dumb as we are today. We reinterpret the past by our low standards when we could look back and ask “what have we lost – how did we get here?”

2. emilievardaman

I agree with all except the song. I don’t perceive it to be about rape but certainly is about a man pressuring a woman, these lines bother me:
    Baby don’t hold out.
    Ah, you’re very pushy you know? I like to think of it as opportunistic.
    How can you do this thing to me?
    Get over that old out.

Well said Pam. Too many idiots have entirely too much time on their hands to sit and think this stuff up. I just enjoy songs and stories….. I don’t rip them apart to find hidden meanings/agendas. I agree with Dan, how did we get here?

And that’s why we who follow you love what you have to say, because you say what you think, plain and simple. You put your thoughts and opinions out there to share with us which in turn makes us think and wonder about things we wouldn’t otherwise have considered.

4. Garfield Hug

Political correctness to the extreme is bad. It is usually over reaction of adults that cause issues and brings bad thoughts in an act of pure innocence. I know the feeling as kids cannot show love and adults cannot play honest pranks without anyone citing sexual harrassment. Pity!

I couldn’t agree more. Meanwhile the true evil still goes on, just behind closed doors like it always really did. The misguided do gooders often won’t get their hands dirty with a real issue of inequality or abuse. The worst part is there is now a generation of judgmental, narcissistic, humorless brats (sorry) that have their own loathing. It is just pointed in a different direction. The song or its true intent is only a symptom. Would these same people go to a Battered Women’s shelter and get involved or just keep talking about a mysogynist lyric?
    I still remember all the hoopla over several of the Beatles’ songs being about drugs. The ridiculous comments about Let It Be during that time I couldn’t believe.
    People just want shocking things to talk about and most will dive into accusations head first, just t be in the shallow end with everyone else. . 😞

This is so well said Cheryl. The people that complain the loudest seem to be the ones who won’t get their hands dirty. And we all know the only way to get things done is to get dirty.

6. oldmainer

A great piece Pam. I’m sorry so many people feel offended by virtually anything and everything today. It’s a shame everything must be micro inspected and disected until they are able to find something they don’t like so they can complain. Reminds me of the old saying “physician, heal thyself”.

7. Shards Of DuBois

awesome Pam, you get em! I try to tell peeps we are not ANY BETTER, and we have no right to judge ever… only GOD Does. HE is the only righteous one. The so called mother who made those innocent children feel like dirt… must be in a very dark place herself. Not only should she be shot… lol… but she should be loved and prayed for… she needs it bad!

1. Shards Of DuBois

that’s something I think people miss… is that love includes understanding and compassion… it’s not about doing good deeds, although those are also good… its about instant forgiveness, and then trying to help that soul because it needs it the most… THAT’S what Jesus did! He always looked for the truly LOST.