I Like Ketchup!

There I said it. It may make me a pariah but I like ketchup.  I like French fries and potato chips, hot chocolate with whipped cream and full milk. I don’t like half fat soy almond substitute.  And speaking of soy… how do they milk it? Do they have teeny tiny ants bent down pulling on a soybean’s gourds? Ha ha ha

I understand the need to eat healthy. I understand it, I don’t necessarily subscribe to it. I ate salads in my 20s and 30s, I drank caffeine free tea. I exercised and was frugal with my sweets. But I never lost the desire for gastronomical pleasure. I never lost the joy of sinking my teeth into a great big, juicy steak. I love red meat! I am so tired of hearing about how bad white bread is when I ate it throughout my entire childhood. I ate fried foods, butter, whole milk . . . The list is endless of things that are now considered bad. Maybe a little bad is good.

We are so caught up with what we should do, that we sometimes forget that everything we think is bad was at one time, considered good. In the future, the things that are considered to be good for you now could end up on that bad list. We keep changing our minds as to the validity of everything around us and then somebody will have a random thought and decide to make it a ‘thing’.  They will then scream loudly across the social media about how good/bad said item is and it will be picked up by other people who believe deeply in the person that screams the loudest. And then we will have a new ‘thing’.

We make snap decisions about everything around us and then swear up and down that it’s the truth. What is the truth? What I believe to be the truth may simply be my perception. Another person may believe the truth to be something else. Yes, I know science can prove one way or the other but even then, there is a bias. Many years ago, a scientific analysis was done on city water that was considered to be the cleanest in the United States. Tests came back and said that that water caused cancer. Thank goodness this was before social media. Because it was proven, eventually, to be inaccurate.  The area that was served by the water was so large there were simply more people.  More people, more cancer. But they didn’t take that into account. The water did not cause cancer. Fortunately, hysteria did not ensue.

Social media is a wonderful tool. It can also be a dangerous platform. Remember the squeaky wheel? People tend to believe whoever is screaming the loudest for the longest period of time. The truth is not the issue.

47 thoughts on “I Like Ketchup!

1. Emilie

I agree. Mostly.
    Yes, I like meat. But the planet does not. Cows take many pounds of grains and nearly 1800 GALLONS of water to produce a pound of beef. That is so clearly unsustainable!
    Plus, my cholesterol was at nearly 300.
    For those reasons, I have given up meat.
    If I am at a party and that’s what is served, yes, I eat it. A very small amount. I had a single bbq rib a month or so ago that made me swoon. Very little makes me swoon! And yes, milk is from cows.
    Cows. I purchase very little cow products any more.

Well said, Pam. You gotta get out of my head!! I’m always griping that ‘what’s good for us tastes bad and what’s bad for us tastes good,’

I believe in moderation. And I LOVE ketchup with French fries!!

But there’s another side to this. The more they remove from food, the more these products cost. Take out the offending sugar or salt or cholesterol or gluten, etc., it will cost you more. Not everyone can afford it.

I used to point my finger at the “idiots” lined up at the fast food places in their cars, waiting for all that unhealthy food. I’ve changed my attitude. After talking with some people I know who live on fast food, it’s because it’s become the most affordable way to feed their families ! That was an eye opener!

3. oldmainer

I’d rather not think Soylent Green. Ughhh. But you are right. Everything that goes around comes around. My doctor told me once to lose weight. I asked if he had an suggestions. He said “yes, if it tastes good, spit it out .

4. pensitivity101

Amsterdam introduced me to mayonnaise and chips, though the Ditch mayo knocks spots off what you get in the UK. I like a drop of tomato ketchup on fish or hotdogs. As I don’t have the latter, and rarely the former (I like it, buy it but prefer to make a pasta dish when Hubby has fish), I don’t buy it. However, I was given a couple of sachets which are in the cupboard in readiness!

5. John Hric

Often what is good and what is bad is determined by a narrow field of view. Enjoy the foods that you enjoy. Even that often maligned vegetable ketchup. And beware of those things people release into the environment that are truly bad for us, Even if it does take a long time to sort out they are bad for us. Take a look at the story behind the film Dark Waters. It is an example of bad taking a long time to be revealed. There are things that are bad for us and we do need to get better at protecting our only planet from these bad things. The ride is getting too bumpy. Hmmm bumpy orbit – sounds like something that might go with ketchup and make a good blog name. And half credit for inspiration. Thanks

6. The Whitechapel Whelk

Try oat milk. It tastes slightly less like boiled underpants than the other dairy substitutes. It’s probably not quite as good for you though.

I will gladly share my ketchup and whole milk with you. I might share the chocolate, but… So called experts suggest 2% milk. Yuck. Whole milk is 3-3.5% Not that much more, but oh, such a difference. We get ours from a local farm where we can see the cows. I like to say “nothing but moo in that bottle.” I figure the absence of chemicals makes it even more healthy.

If people would just find their own balance instead of judging and pushing ‘their’ way onto everyone else it would be such a more peaceful and calm world Pam.
    Now where did I put that carcinogenic, sulfur drowned fertilized acidic carrot wrapped in plastic, I need some organic food 😂

9. John W. Howell

Your post reminds me of the movie Sleeper with Woody Allen. When the character woke up he was in the future and the doctors prescribed steak and cigarettes. The doctor says he can’t believe they thought these were bad for folks in the past. Good post, Pam.

10. Joanne Sisco

I’m still waiting for the scientific studies that say large amounts of chocolate and licorice is good for you. I’m patient. In the meantime I’ll continue following the still-to-come healthy diet of the future 😉

Wise woman. I don’t know much about licorice but chocolate comes from the coca bean and beans are vegetables and vegetables are good for you soooo . . . chocolate is good for you! I’ll look into licorice. Hah! It is an extract from the Glycyrrhiza glabra plant. Yeah, another vegetable!
      Enjoy your vegetables Joanne.

11. iglengel

Your points are so true – remember coffee – what about eggs? I still nourish my body with both. Good post and I look forward to reading more. I am still learning how to speak my mind in my blog posts. Usually I try to devise a blog post that is either informative …..about aging or retirement or something wild and wacky designed to elicit a chuckle or two. Keep on writing. Irwin

Oh I do like a good heaping pile of eggs! And bacon, and white toast and fried tomatoes and . . . You will find your groove Irwin and I am looking forward to it.