Awkward

We have all had those moments that are a little, well, awkward. Sometimes they are funny moments, even endearing.  Sometimes you want the world to end to hide your shame. When I think of that word, I always think of an incident involving a stage, an audience and a pair of fishnet stockings. I jest not.

Before you get too far down that rabbit hole, let me explain. It was part of an avant-garde play I was doing in University. The majority of the characters spent their time hiding behind wooden boxes and would jump up and sit on a box to say their lines and then hide again. Think of a Jack-in-the-box.  Seems simple enough. Hahaha. Anyone who has ever worn a pair of fishnet stockings knows that they are tough, steel tough.  My costume was simple but those fishnet stockings tripped me up quite badly. They got stuck on a nail that someone had forgotten to remove from the wood box. Whatever the stockings were made from wouldn’t rip. So, I missed my cue to retreat behind the box, more than once.  It took me several minutes to work the nail loose so that I could retreat. I don’t think the audience noticed but my cast mates did. I took a little ribbing after that.

I’m not going to regale you with my many moments of awkwardness over the last 60 years because, well, this post is not that long. But it could be! I’ve been on stage, forgotten my lines and had to improvise. I’ve been on a date when I forgot my date’s name. Now that was awkward!  It’s OK I figured it out before he noticed. There wasn’t a second date.

Then there was the time I was visiting a friend’s cottage.  There must have been 10 or 15 people in the room when I inadvertently bumped into a floor lamp as I was about to sit down.   A noisy room for some reason went eerily silent as I turned to the floor lamp and apologized. It did not go unnoticed. Welcome to my world.

Someone once said to me that you can judge the integrity of an individual by how well they handle knotted Christmas lights. When you think about it, that is quite wise. I have seen the frustration, the anger that often arises. I have also known people to simply buy new ones rather than face the daunting chore of unravelling of last year’s.

I am not the first person to have to deal with an awkward situation nor will I be the last. But aren’t they just moments in our lives to be lived as best we can or as the worst we can?  It’s all about how we deal in the moment when it’s happening to us or around us. We can find the humour and compassion to survive both.

34 thoughts on “Awkward

1. Jennie

I’m the one who always knocks things over. The klutz. It took me decades to laugh about it. I know just how you felt. Good thing we both found our humor and compassion.

If I had one dollar for each of my awkward moments, I’d be quite wealthy today! My worst awkward moment occurred when I was 13. I was a very self-conscious girl. My dad was the head of the shoe department in an up-class men’s store. I had been instructed by my mother to get off the school bus in town and walk to the store so dad could fit me with a new pair of shoes.

The other girls in my class were now wearing slacks to school sometimes. I was not allowed. I had to wear a “proper” blouse and skirt or dress.

Back then we didn’t have backpacks. You piled 40 lbs of books on top of your 3-ring loose leaf and carried that load in your arms….across your chest….while hanging on to your purse!

So I’m walking down the busy sidewalk to the store when I feel the elastic waistband snap on my undies!!! 😳 I have no free hand. There’s no place to run, nowhere to hide. I knew I was beet red from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. Good grief! What do I do now??

I did what any stupid teenage girl would do. I kept on walking and stepped right out of my undies when they hit the ground and continued on into the store as if nothing had happened. No, even in later years I never could bring myself to tell my parents.

But I’ve had many a good laugh from this awkward experience. My dad always used to say, ” No matter what happens you can either cry about it or laugh. Always choose laughter.” I choose to find the humor in these moments.

AHAHAH. That was brilliant! Your father was a wise man. (and you were a smart kid!). My mother had a similar experience. My parents were at a posh party, diplomats, CEOs . . . Mother was dancing with a Frenchman and the waistband on her half slip broke. With one motion she step out of the fallen slip and her dance partner scooped it up and put it in his pocket. Without speaking a word they finished the dance, walked my mom back to the table and handed my father her slip! Thank you for reminding me!

OMG! That is priceless! That could’ve been a movie with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant as the dancers and David Niven as the husband!

Funny, isn’t it, how our most awkward/humiliating moments become the story we laugh the most at.

Your parents and mom’s dance partner must’ve been a hoot. Definitely my kind of people….like you!!

Most certainly dear lady, and I think those moments are the making of us. And to touch them again and laugh (as Ginger said), is the moment we are able to forgive and have compassion for everybody…us included 😀 ❤️ 🙏🏽 🦋

4. pensitivity101

I’ve had my fair share of awkward moments, usually involving accents. However, you apologising to a lampshade reminds me of a time when Hubby and I were in Hamleys and were like two big kids. I saw this guy and went over to ask where something was, only to discover mid sentence he was made of LEGO!
    That was also the time Hubby and I were on the escalator enjoying a yard of marshmallow from each end and kissed when we met in the middle.

5. Melanie B Cee

😆 I admit to guffawing at the idea of apologizing to the floor lamp. You DO have a great sense of humor and style! Hee hee. My worst embarrassment might have been going to work on a crowded bus (having to transfer once as well) with the seat completely ripped out of my pants. I didn’t notice, nobody said anything and it was only when I got to work that my lovely supervisor (she was a gem) took me aside and quietly told me. Mortified? Yeah. Did a lot of unsavory people get a free peep? Thank God I had on ‘good’ underwear!

6. Pingback: Well hell, that was embarrassing!! | sparksfromacombustiblemind

7. John W. Howell

I loved this Pamela. My awkwardness is legend. The best was bumping a pedestal holding a vase from the Ming Dynasty. It rocked a couple of times and then fell into my hands. The owner was out of breath and the crowd still. He said, “I’m certainly glad you caught that. It cost more than you could make in a year.” I replied, “Since I’m a volunteer on a dollar a year maybe I should let it drop.” BTW this guy was one of the biggest names in advertising. We didn’t get along after that.

8. Widdershins

After our first Christmas together I rendered Mrs Widds entirely speechless as I carefully wound up the tree lights and tied a bit of string at the top and bottom of each bunch. She was one for just bundling them into an old shopping bag and be done with it. I was aghast! 😀 … needless to say, I get to unroll and re-roll the lights each year! 😀

9. rangewriter

It may be awfully difficult to laugh at the time of an awkward situation, but even with flaming face, I usually realize that I won’t forget the moment and will undoubtedly laugh about it in the future.