In a Rush

Frank over at beachwalkreflections.wordpress.com has constantly been inspiring me, enticingly me, compelling me to think. I love it. A recent post of his did just that.  It is called Rush. In its simplest terms it’s about how we as a species always seem to be in a rush. Ain’t it the truth?

It made me think of a story that my mother used to tell me about how I was born. It seems I was in a hurry even then. My mother had been taken to the hospital by my father and the doctor on duty told them that it would be hours before I was born, I was a third child, so my father could continue onto his business event. My mother would be fine. Shortly after my father left, my mother’s doctor came in, took one look at my mother and basically said ‘this woman is about to have a child on the floor!’

We laughed about it. My mother always maintained that if the doctor had not been standing exactly where he was when I literally popped out, I would’ve been smashed against the far wall. And that laid the foundation for my personality. I’ve always been in a rush. I was in a hurry to grow tall enough so that my feet would touch the floor when I sat on a chair. I was in a hurry to grow up so that I could wear make-up, kiss boys, go to university, get a job… I was impatient. I always seemed to do my best work when I was under a time crunch, I loved deadlines. I would often wait until the last minute to do an essay or project because I loved that thrill of near panic. Diamonds are formed under pressure. Yep, I am an original.

That is not to say that I missed my life as it whizzed by.  I savoured my adventures, my relationships, my life. I just did it in second gear. And then I was diagnosed with MS. Talk about an eye-opener. Not only was I forced to slow down, I was forced to stop. You know what happens in a car when you stomp on the brakes. Everything becomes topsy-turvy until it finally settles. That is exactly what happened to me. It took me several years to adjust to a slower speed and even to stopping. But I take the time to enjoy it now. I still love deadlines. I still love the thrill of getting something done just before it’s due. I love working on my blog the day before I’m expected to post something just because it’s exhilarating.

And while my body may have slowed down to a comfortable crawl, my mind is still working in overdrive. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

30 thoughts on “In a Rush

1. Frank @ Beach Walk Reflections

Pan …. First of all, thanks for the plug and glad I played a small part in this story. More importantly, thank you for sharing a bit of your story that is very poignant. Even in adversity, your positive attitudes shines!!!!

I invite your readers to stop by … I won’t bite.

2. Murphy’s Law

A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure/Henry Kissinger. You are definitely a diamond my friend!

Maybe your early years of living life at high speed was preparing you for MS. It eventually slowed your body down to a crawl, but not your beautiful mind. Your positive attitude shines. More than once when reading one of your posts I had to pick myself up by my britches and get my act together! 🤗

I love that you don’t hide behind MS, you embrace it and use it to keep moving forward.

I love you dear friend. 💕 Thank you for this candid post. You are a remarkable gal.
    Ginger

My dearest friend, you make me laugh, you make me smile and you make me tear up just a little. You are good for my ego and my soul. I write because of people like you. I want to share who I am, my sign of trust. MS is simply part of a complex puzzle that makes me, me.

3. Dale

I’m with you on the rushing towards anything. Ironically, I was almost three weeks late – must by why I wanted to learn how to run before walking.
    You are an inspiration, Pam. Living life to the max and taking whatever challenges come your way in stride, er, in wheel? Keep on being you.

You are definitely one of the diamonds in my collection. When you slow down, you notice more and you have more to say. I don’t care if you write it under the pressure of a deadline – I enjoy reading it. So, if you enjoy writing it – win-win!

5. Widdershins

Whenever I get into the doldrums about my many ‘bits that go wrong’, I remind myself that my hands and my brain work just fine, and that’s enough in that moment. 🙂 … some days it’s hard to get to ‘enough’, but I get there in the end. 🙂
    Your body may have slowed down, but that’s only one bit of all the bits that make you, you. 🙂

6. rangewriter

For someone who excelled in physical speed, I can’t imagine how difficult it has been for you to accept and learn to live with a body that simply won’t keep up with your mind. But that mind of yours is a gem to behold in action. Actually a brilliant mind is far more impressive than an Olympic sprinter.

7. My Rollercoaster Journey

Love this post. I’m so sorry you have MS. My sister in law was diagnosed with MS the day my son was born. It affected her life in so many ways, and not in a good way. But I think after a few years it has taught her to savor things more and life her life fully while she can.