Are You a Reason?

I was sitting back in my chair the other day with my mind wandering. It should not be allowed out unsupervised but this day it was. I remembered a conversation I had had over lunch with a dear friend many years ago. We had been laughing about something that I do not recall and he slapped the table and said with a grin, “men need a place, women need a reason”. I burst out laughing, hysterically.

Now, if you understood what he meant then shame on you! Welcome to my world. If you didn’t understand then your mother raised you right. And you have so much to learn. It got me thinking about reason. Are you a reason? Are you a reason that someone smiles first thing in the morning? Are you the reason people want to come to work because they enjoy what they do and who they do it with? Or are you the reason someone is crying into their pillow at night? What’s the reason someone chooses a different career path?

We never truly know or understand what effect we have on other people but if we go out of our way to be kind and to be considerate, the impact we have on others will be positive. Should be positive. Some people don’t like positivity and will go out of their way to be negative. Perhaps then we should simply try harder. Don’t dismiss someone because you don’t agree with them or they don’t understand you. Find another way. Find other actions. Communicate. Hear their side, their opinion. Do you want them to listen to you? Then show them respect by listening to them.

There is so much in this world that we do not understand and we cannot control. Some of that is the natural world that hopefully will survive us but some of it is created by people. So many untenable situations are created because of a need or a greed.  What we can control is our reaction to it all. We need to remember that we are not alone on the little blue planet. Not only do we share this world with 8 billion other people, we also share it with 1 trillion other creatures. OK that is not a scientific number but it’s a big one.

When you go about your day try to think, try to reason. Try to be the reason for positivity around you.  All it takes is a little thought and a little will.

40 thoughts on “Are You a Reason?

1. John Hric

Unfortunately being the reason is an after thought in the corporate world. Way down the list. And since it starts at the top it sets the entire tone. So when one of us tries to be the reason we are fighting the current and pushing upstream.

2. K.L. Hale

Pam, what an inspiring and uplifting way to begin my day. Despite the negativity and “push back” we might receive (i.e.~me being one of two positive people on a 16 administrative member team) let’s try not to give up. It’s not easy. I try and assume “positive intent”; but then again, some can’t, nor will change. I don’t expect to change others. Like you stated, I can only change my reaction. You’re a positive light, Pam and a wonderful REASON why I’m a part of this community. Happy Sunday, my friend. 💛🥰

You are so kind Karla, thank you. That means a lot to me. I’m going to repeat my comment that I made to John earlier. When it seems that everything is against you … I think of the salmon that swim up river against the current to spawn. Their tenacity wins.

3. Murphy’s Law

You, my dear friend, are the REASON I smile every day reading your posts. It is hard trying to soften the negativity of some people, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. I would love to think I make a positive influence on someone at least once in a while.

There’s so much negativity in this world as it is, let’s band together and spread as much positivity as we can. We have nothing to lose.

Great post Pam. Have a positively happy Sunday!
    Ginger

Thanks for this post and your observations, Pam. We have lost 25% of the insect population on this planet since 1990. That’s a lot of bugs!

As Ginger said, you are often the reason for my day turning toward the good. I start here and you either make me laugh or you make me think. Sometimes, a little of both. Always a welcome stop in my daily journey.

5. joylennick

I am so in accord with you, Pamela! Endlessly fascinated by human beings, I am both appalled and delighted by what I discover as the years pass, for they have a huge capacity for kindness and love yet are sometimes so flawed as to be monsters. Fortunately, I have only met the former – while not all exactly loving…I do try and understand why some folk do what they do, for there are so many subtleties in our make-up. But being positive, hopeful and loving certainly seems to be the best way forward. xx

6. bikerchick57

I agree, Pam. If we could all think about our actions and what we say, and make it as positive as possible, it would be a much better place – whether at home, at work or out in the world. I believe negativity takes up way too much energy and emotional output – not in a good way.

Well said Pam, we can only enrich this worlds flavor by adding the right things to it…and love will do that nicely. Love ourselves and that is what we will naturally add to it, we only ever give out what we are ❤️🙏🏽

8. rangewriter

Awesome reminder. I try to think positively, but sometimes it’s so easy to get caught up in the froth of the moment. One thing that I have noticed is that a smile stimulates a smile. And the act of smiling lifts the spirit, even if but for a moment. I’ve noticed in every city that I’ve walked in, that when I smile, strangers smile back. And sometimes, I don’t even know that I am smiling, but still strangers smile at me, so I smile back….then I wonder if I have a forest of spinach hanging off my teeth or a stain on my blouse or a hole in my trousers….😂 Oh well, I gave someone a reason to smile, so that’s not a bad thing.

You are absolutely right! I call it the Domino Effect. Your smile begets a smile which begets a smile which… And who knows how far reaching that can be. It makes me smile.

9. Lauren

I know one of the reasons I became a teacher was because I wanted children in my classes to know they were in a safe place. A friendly smile and comforting shoulder often helped me make it through my day as a child.

10. joylennick

What a lovely teacher you must be, Lauren!! Top marks. I worked, part-time, as a Teachers Help in the UK for ten years with slower readers and ran a poetry class. I was always amazed that some of the naughtiest boys turned up?! One very shy lad wrote to me ‘out of the blue’ around three years ago…24 years had passed…to thank me “For your patience, I made University and am now a prize-winning designer of stage and back-.ground scenery” (with impressive details). I was so thrilled for him …I’m sure you have helped countless children in your career and should be very proud. What’s not to smile at or to?!

You must have made an impact on that young boy Joy. All those years later he still thinks about you and recognizes what you did for him. Kudos to you!

11. joylennick

I was, of course, delighted that he remembered and even more that HE had flowered. Imagine the value of so many good teachers. It’s inestimable. Young minds so need kneading, rather like bread! x