Rose Coloured Glasses

When we all started wearing masks there was an issue for people who wore glasses. They fogged up. Yes, it can be rectified but it takes a little thought and I was feeling lazy. My glasses are for distance so I don’t wear them all the time. I decided to invest in a pair of sunglasses that were non-prescription. I could wear them further down my nose so there was no fogging involved. I nipped into the pharmacy and bought an inexpensive pair. Well, I got more than I paid for.

We’ve all heard about looking through rose-coloured glasses at the world. It means we see the good not the bad but it’s not necessarily considered a good thing.  The implication is that we’re living in a fantasy world. And yes, sometimes I am! Seriously, with the world we’re living in right now! But I digress. When I looked through my glasses the world wasn’t rose-colored, more sepia toned and it made me wonder…

People really do see what they want to see. We judge based on our history, how we have been treated and sometimes it’s not all good. When I see a group of young men laughing and walking down the street, I don’t automatically think they’re up to no good. In my world they’re just a bunch of kids out having a good time. Because I have never experienced any of the horrors that others have. That colours my thinking. And the way I look at the world.

I have been told that I wear rose-coloured glasses because I look for the positive. I may be aware of the negative but I don’t have to fixate on it. I will try to correct it if I can but I don’t spend my life worrying about it.  That is an action that has no value. Why would anybody want to focus on it?

We live in trying times. These are the moments that can make us or break us.  Ordinary heroes are standing next to each other performing extraordinary acts of kindness.  In the beginning of this pandemic, we pulled together, we sang from our balconies and we cared about each other. Now apathy has crept in and we are trying to return to a past that no longer exists. Covid is here to stay. So are we. How we manage to coexist remains to be seen. I’m counting on us. All of us.

33 thoughts on “Rose Coloured Glasses

1. Murphy’s Law

Powerful piece of common sense Pam. Well done! No matter what the crises, we always manage to pull together as a team. We pat ourselves and each other on the back congratulating ourselves for a job well done.

Then the apathy returns along with a new strain of Covid. You are right on the mark, Covid is here to stay. Our way of life has changed forever. We need to find our way on the new path we’re all on. We can’t afford complacency. We need to recognize that working together towards the same common goal is the only way to success.

Let’s virtually join hands and feel each other’s strength and determination and allow it power us forward.
    Ginger

Very well said dear lady. And we are, for a purpose, guided by what we experience. And we are taught those fears of others unintentionally as children by those we love and look up to, and so that as time goes by we will find a much better path. I found the truth of that love waiting within us and know others have to make that same journey to understand. So regardless if they are trying to rip my brain out, I try to give them the love that I found so that they too can find a new direction, a way to go beyond what they are bound by and become that freedom that the love of unconditional is ❤️🙏🏽

3. Dale

I could not agree more with you, Pam. I, too, focus on the positive and don’t automatically assume the worse in what I see. You are also right on the beauty and love that glowed in the beginning of the pandemic has become apathetic. I remember saying I so hope it means we all start treating each other better. Was short-lived for many.
    I’m with K.L. I stand with you, too!

4. joylennick

Hi Pamela, When, every now and then, we put history under the microscope, it seems ‘things’ – one way or another; sometimes seriously – are awry, and depending on our circumstances and demeanour, we take a deep breath and ‘gird our loins’ (or lions…) and face the music, or not. I know – without being intrusive- you’ve faced yours…and I suppose that lots of children like me, had no choice in facing WW11 in 1939 BUT it made us stoic. I’m no brave, warrior type, but we just had to ‘get on with it,’ and most of us put on rose-coloured glasses now and then, just to help the medicine go down! Let’s hope it works again… xx

Your generation taught us so very much! You as a world chose a side and survived! I do not know that those of us living now would have the courage that your generation did. I listen to the stories my parents told me and they shared humour and pathos and understanding that I fear we do not understand today. But we should.

5. joylennick

Oh, Pam – you are a born leader. I can see you at the head: possibly waving a flag and shouting “Onwards…Power to the people!!” (Peacefully, of course!) Even as a child, I was amazed at the change in many women. My own 5′ 2″ Mum became a welder for a while and, when older, I realised how people pulled together in time of need. Hopefully, they will still. x

It is so sad that it takes great adversity for people to understand the strength that they have inherently. I have never wanted to be a leader but I hope I would not shy away if a need arose.

6. John Hric

It will take all of us. And some of us have already forged ourselves into even more of a thicket. So the extrication from said thicket might take a bit of doing. And yes we very well need all of us to get out of this mess. After all who knew believing in fairies would be easier than believing in election results ! ? !

7. pensitivity101

My rose coloured glasses broke in 1988 when I woke up and smelt the coffee…… that I’d thrown in his lap. We really do see what we want to see, ignoring what is truly there, but eventually enough is enough. When that will happen in these trying times is uncertain, but tensions are mounting, and that is what worries me most.

8. bikerchick57

Pam, I love this. It says so much…gently and respectfully. It’s so important that we, as a people, go forward without judgment, but with acceptance and compassion. You’re right, we don’t always know who is standing next to us or their life situation. It’s better to wear those rose-colored glasses and think well of people rather than the opposite.

Speaking of masks…yeah, I had foggy glasses, but over the past two and a half years, I’ve figured out how to take care of that issue. I think. 😉